"Ahh...you were ahhh...speeding...ahhh Sir. Can I..ahhh...can I, ....can I get your ....ahhh license please?"

Imagine being flagged down by a cop for speeding and when he goes over to you he stammers and falters, feeling so shy that he has to check on you. Well, that's how it's gonna be if you have one of the newest toy from Ford, the all-new Ford Everest. At least that's how it's being marketed as I heard it from a radio station today on my way to work. The ad ends with the cop wishing the Everest guy to take care, and with the tagline: "Even the toughest guys won't be so tough on you".

It reminded me of another commercial, this time by McDonald's. It features a guy that's on the nerve's end of his boss, getting yelled at and pressured. A hand pats him and points him to a Mcdo store. In an instant, he's transported to the store, and we find him enjoying a Value Meal. Well and good, except for the last part, when he's stopped by the hand as he was about to eat the last few portions of his french fries, and a voice says to him: "Sa boss mo na yan, sumipsip ka kasi", which roughly translates to "Leave that for your boss, you should suck up man!" I still see that commercial from time to time, and maybe it airs more often than I thought it does because I tend to spend more time watching cable channels where it's not usually featured.

I don't know, I guess I have to rant a bit because they do leave a bad taste in my mouth. If my kid's are a little bit older, I know for sure I would have been even more concerned, particularly on that Mcdo commercial. Why can't they (Ford included) just make uplifting commercials, rather than being so jagged and blatant of things that may send a wrong message?
I don't know if it's just me, but if you share the sentiment, or have been particularly offended by an ad, do share it here. There's maybe more here that we can do in addition to trading stories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home