I first saw this book a couple of months ago, when it was still in hardbound cover, and I was really curious about what it has to say. And so when I laid my eyes on it again in small paperback issue and at 20% discount, I just had to buy it. The teaser questions sort of hooked me: What do school teachers and sumo wrestlers have in common? Why do drug dealers still live with their parents? There's something about reading a book that re-examines commonly held beliefs that truly attracts me to it. However, if I consider the fact that this book is a bestseller, then am I really reading something non-traditional?


So far, I have to say this is one of the more challenging books to grasp. Sometimes I tend to set it aside already. The connections and the arguments that the authors are trying to make sometimes just feel so, well, arbitrary. It even crossed my mind that I could actually come up with some outlandish relationships like the ones they do in the book (I'm still in the earlier chapters, by the way). But if I try hard enough, I can really see a glimpse of the point that they are trying to make: that our commonly held notions were, simply, commonly wrong. And if what we do is affected even at the slightest bit by those notions, the reality for us could be so much different than what we expected or wanted.

4 Comments:

  1. dojski said...
    very well said, noel.

    btw, i saw the author in person last year. he was one of the speakers in the conference i attended. he speaks with a lisp. ;)
    toguints said...
    both of them? what conference was that?
    dojski said...
    nope, just levitt. he is the main author really.

    that was the annual cFA conference in vancouver. =)
    toguints said...
    wow ...going places

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home