I was searching for something else today when I found this interesting thread which is basically discussing a question which goes like this: "Are all these talks about simple living just another term for giving up?" I have to say the discussion was quite lively, entertaining, and thought-provoking. Enough to make me take a look at the forum's host site which is WiseBread. It's basically a site which host forums on frugal living. What frugal living means isn't really clear to me at the moment. But as I take a look at the stuff that floats around the site, I get the feeling that frugal living is simply finding your own spot where you don't sacrifice the quality of your life for quantity. I guess that would be better than simply saying it's about saving, spending less, getting out of debt, having an "easier" job, etc., which I think somehow discredits the whole philosophy of it and makes those who adhere to it appear lazy and out of touch with reality.

On a personal note, I try to follow these simple (no pun intended) rules:

1. I try to spend less than what I earn (basic basic basic)
2. I try to see if the second alternative can be as good as the first (and usually more expensive) choice, given my purpose.
3. I try to postpone expenses if it would mean incurring a debt.

There's a still couple more things I follow, but the three above usually influences most of my financial decisions.

How about you? Are you following any site that features stuff on frugal living? Do you practice it as well? Do share it with us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home